I. The basis for building the foundation of Binh Duong University
1.1 Legal basis:
• Binh Duong University was built and developed on the basis of the Law of Education and the regulations of the Government,the Ministry of Education and Training.
• On September 24,1997, Prime Minister Vo Van Kiet signed Decision No.791 / TTg authorizing the establishment of Binh Duong Private University with the following functions and tasks:
– Binh Duong Private University is a university training institution,under the state management of the Ministry of Education and Training,which has legal independent status and its own seal;
– The school's degree system is included the national system of qualifications.
• On August 26,2007,the Prime Minister issued Decision No.990/QD-TTg to assign Binh Duong University with the master training course.
• On July 22, 2016, the Ministry of Education and Training issued Decision No. 2521 / QD-BGDDT allowing for Ph.D.courses.
• The education and training activities of the school are organized according to the allowance of the Minister of Education and Training.
1.2 Vision and objectives for action at Binh Duong University:
Bringing into full play the potential of society, Binh Duong University is determined to build a school into a supermarket of knowledge with three pillars: Cultural education – Science and technology – Economics; It contributes to the development of an open education that meets the need for constant learning, lifelong learning for all to become responsible citizens in the open world through the path of "Study – Ask – Understand- Act!".
1.3 Viewpoints on open education:
The foundation of Open education is built on the viewpoint that "education is of all people, by all people, to all people, and for all people; all people are entitled to equal enjoyment of the fruits of education and equally obligated to contribute to the building up of it – that is, educational development".
1.4 Purpose of Binh Duong University:
"Cheers to the spirit of learning;
Engagement for the cause of raising intellect;
Training human resources, fostering talents;
All for the development of Vietnamese society. "
1.5 Graduates' oath:
We, graduates of Binh Duong University, do hereby pledge:
"To pray for a lifetime of self-improvement; strive untiringly for the cause of: wealth for the people, strength of country, a fair, democratic and civilized society, and for the prosperity of the developing motherland – Vietnam".
We hereby pledge – pledge – pledge.
II – 20 -year Accomplishments:
20 years have passed, and thanks to the early construction of the Building and Developmental Strategy, clearly defined objectives and solutions to ensure the quality of education and training activities, and the support of Central agencies and local branches, along with the cooperation of teachers and friends in foreign countries, Binh Duong University has gradually affirmed its position and become a multidisciplinary, multisystem, and multilevel university integrated into the educational system, contributing to the development of open education, meeting the demand of the people for diversified learning, with the quality of training that is continually reinforced and has become recognized by local and foreign friends as Binh Duong University brand.
Binh Duong University is the first and only institution of higher education in Binh Duong Province (when separated from Song Be Province) that has been in line with the construction and developmental plan of Binh Duong Province (from 1997 to present). Binh Duong University is a non-state-funded school, the first educational model of the province built through socialization of education. The University has constantly developed and trained human resources of high quality with selective orientation to meet the needs of the province in recent years for industrialization and modernization.
Alongside the strong development of Binh Duong University in the region, the university has developed a training center in Ca Mau called Binh Duong University – Ca Mau, which contributes to training human resources for Ca Mau Province, and the country, as well as promoting the Binh Duong Provincial brand image to your province. The results of operation of the Ca Mau Campus have been highly recognized by the leaders of the Committee for the National Assembly of Cultural Education for Youth and Children, the Ministry of Education and Training, and the People's Committee of Ca Mau province.
Outstanding achievements in the last 20 years:
Over the past 20 years, Binh Duong University has trained more than 70,000 students with 54 majors in the following fields: Economics (Business Administration,Accounting,Finance and Banking, Economic Law);Science Technology (Biotechnology, Electricity – Electronics,Information Technology,Civil Engineering,Architecture); Social Studies (Literature,Vietnamese Studies,Tourism,Sociology, English). Among them there are more than 30,000 students in graduate school,university,and regular college,more than 40,000 students attend non-formal educational programs, 2nd degree programs, and /or participate in distance learning via radio, television,or internet.
In order to meet the diverse needs of the people, besides the regular training system, the university invested tens of billions of VND to build a distance learning program via radio and television, attracting crowds to participate in learning while contributing to the learning society.
Over the past 20 years, the school has provided more than 30,000 graduates to society, including:
– 500 masters (including 80 master of the MBA program affiliated with Benedictine University – USA).
– 14,322 bachelors, 4-year degree engineers, regular college graduates, and professional training.
– 16,238 bachelors, non-formal training system engineers, and distance training.
Most graduates have jobs, according to the survey data for 2015-2016, the proportion of graduates who are employed are as follows:
– Masters: 100%.
– University level of Construction, Electrical – Electronics, Information Technology, Architecture, Banking and Finance: 100%.
– University level of Vietnamese studies: 94.4%.
– University level of Business Administration: 92.67%.
– University level of Sociology: 87.50%.
– University major in English 91.6%.
– College of Construction, Electrical – Electronics, Information Technology, Architecture, Banking and Finance, and English: 100%.
Many of the graduates hold important positions in industrial companies, corporate companies,and many have become doctoral candidates for teaching at tertiary institutions. Students and graduates of the school are used by the units to assess the professional quality and professional ethics.
It can be affirmed that over the past 20 years,Binh Duong University has truly become an open,multifaceted,multidisciplinary ecological university,training human resources to contribute to the socio-economic development of the country.
2. Science and Technology:
Science and Technology is one of the three pillars in the strategy of building Binh Duong University. The main task of science and technology is: The organization of transfer and reception of technology, which shall first of all give priority to education,rural development and matters related to the school's training for the purpose of continual improvement of the quality of training.
Every year the school deducts 2-3% of the total investment in scientific research, in particular over the past 20 years, the school has deployed 170 scientific research projects which were accepted, including 42 topics at the provincial level, 128 topics at the university level (including 42 topics of faculty members and 86 topics and research projects of students) with a total budget of 14,080,000,000.
Typical works of recent:
1. Construction research on the strategic orientation for building and developing Binh Duong University: The project has been deployed many times by the Conference of Scientific Training Council, with the participation of many scientists inside and outside the country. Leaders of the Ministry of Education and Training have given it high appraisal, and the results of the project have been applied by BDU as a guide for building and developing further. It was also introduced in scientific journals.
2. Research and Development of the Open Learning Model: Results have been compiled into two books: There is one such an Open University as This and Journey to Open Education by the Literary Publishing House. 2010 and 2015, and many of them are published in the editions of Education in the Times, Vietnam Communist Party Electronic Newspaper, Education and Society Magazine, and the Journal of Science and Technology.
3. Research in and development of a new rural construction program in two communes of Tri An and Tri Luc of the Thoi Binh district of Ca Mau Province with the objective of improving the methods of perception of the criteria for new rural construction and plan implementation in specific local conditions. These research results have been accepted and implemented.
4. Scientific research on anti-disaster research in the U Minh district of Ca Mau Province, contributing to the creation of appropriate solutions against the loss of canals and irrigation ditches in Ca Mau.
5. Research on the establishment of research institutions:
– Scheme for development of open research and development (open management model);
– Project on building remote medical examination and treatment centers;
– Project on building an Energy Center;
– Project to build the National Defense Education Center – Security;
– Build a three-in-one dorm model.
6. Study the completion of the annual training program of the faculties.
7. Project on building Binh Duong – Ca Mau University Branch.
8. BDU regularly organizes scientific activities, conferences, scientific seminars at the university and department levels; Specialized studies by university scientists and leading research institutes such as:
– Seminar on the Place of General and Ethnic culture in Universities (2009);
– Conference on the Building Strategy for University Development of Binh Duong;
– Fulbright Program Development Workshop organized by US experts;
– Informatics Symposium in Medicine led by the Belarusian National University;
– The Theory of Medicine in the Russian Academy of Science and Technology;
– Nano life-cycle application workshop led by the National Institute for Nanotechnology, Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University, Russia.
9. Over the past 20 years the school has published 30 journals and special editions. In particular, Literature Publishing House published two memoirs, There is such an Open University as This in 2010 and Journey to Open Education by Prof. Cao Van Phuong in 2015. The two works have helped readers to understand the 40 years of the Vietnamese education reform process and the way in which the author and his teammates made their educational journey from Can Tho University (1975-1990), Semi-public Open University of Ho Chi Minh City (1990-2001), Binh Duong University (2001 to present). Many articles were introduced in the Journal of Education and Society, Education & Era Newspaper, and Vietnam Communist Party Electronic Newspaper about the discussions on the construction of open education, the philosophy of education, and the Educational policy mechanism. Especially, the article of Prof. Cao Van Phuong, and PhD. Cao Viet Hieu on "Building Education with the Goal: Open to Learn – Learn to Open to Become Responsible Citizens in an Open World" published in the 66th Journal of Education and Society (127) in Sept., 2016, has given many views on the construction of the ecological economy, the concept of education, the foundation for the development of open education (philosophy, views, goals, educational methods), while at the same time, proposing solutions for ensuring the quality of education aimed at global education. It is highly appraised by many scientists who appreciate new ideas on education.
The scientific research of BDU has become more and more effective, bringing practical application to the cause of developing education and training and contributing to serve social circumstances.
3. International cooperation:
Over the past 20 years, Binh Duong University has built up a collaborative network of training, scientific research, and credit exchange programs with more than 30 universities and research institutes in the United States, the Russian Federation, the Republic of Korea, Thailand, Japan, Belarus, Poland and China.
Every year the school welcomes exchange with more than 20 international delegations from countries such as:
– United States of America: Benedictine University, Fulbright Program, NAU;
The University of Northern Arizona (NAU) signed the transfer of credits from Binh Duong University to NAU. The University has sent many experts to hold seminars and lecturers for students of Binh Duong University on diplomacy and other practical applications of international relations. NAU has received and supported many staff of Binh Duong University for work- study programs at the University.;
– The Russian Federation: Russian Academy of Science and Technology, National University of Mining, Saint Petersburg State University;
– Poland: AGH Academy of Science and Technology;
– Korea: Chosun University, YoungSan University;
With the permission of the Korean Government, Chosun University officially established the Sejong Korean Language Center at Binh Duong University and sends regular lecturers to work in the Center.
– Vesamo Association -From 2013 to 2016 – The Korean Association of Love for Vietnam has visited and awarded 41 scholarships with the total value of 404.000.000d for poor students with good study habits at Binh Duong University.
– Japan: Anabuki College Group.
Internationally cooperative activities of Binh Duong University are growing in both width and depth. The university has established relationships with top universities and research institutes in the United States, Russia, Japan, Belarus, Poland, South Korea and more. The recognition of other universities has confirmed the status of Binh Duong University. International cooperation has contributed to improve the quality of training, science and technology, and especially to improve the quality of school management.
4. Organizational structure:
Over the past 20 years, especially in the last five years, the school's organizational structure has been very innovative, satisfying the quality of human resources for education, science and technology. The quantity and quality of faculty members increases steadily, meeting the requirements on both ends as stipulated by the Ministry of Education and Training. From the initial 30 staff members, with 05 faculties and 03 functional departments, through 20 years of operation, thanks to appropriate policies, the university has mobilized more than 670 scientists, teaching staff and collaborators to work with the university, including 354 fulltime lecturers, 316 regular contributors, 12 academicians, 119 professors with doctorate degrees and Associate professors, 131 masters, and 180 Bachelors.
The school has implemented policies in accordance with state regulations on employees, social insurance, accident insurance, health insurance, as well as personal income tax policies.
Especially, as a private, non-state university, the school system is organized in a synchronized manner with many highly qualified and experienced scientists in teaching, and in management. There are many specialists involved in teaching and management at the school. With such an organizational system, quality assurance for the school's educational activities ensures that the school develops steadily.
The school's organizational apparatus includes:
– Board of Directors: 07 members;
– The School Board: 05 members;
– Board of Science and Training: 44 members, including 12 professors;
– Party members: 75 members;
– The Union: 175 members;
– Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union: 2,432 members;
– Student Association: 2,849 members;
– 15 faculties including: Graduate School; Foreign Language Faculty; Faculty of Informatics; Business Management; Banking and Finance; Faculty of Law; Faculty of Civil Engineering; Sociology; Faculty of Literature; Faculty Tourism and Hotel Management; Department of Architecture; Electronic – Electronic; Faculty of Biotechnology; Faculty of Physical Education; Accounting Faculty;
– 08 Centers: Center for Energy, Center for Medicine – Biology, Korean Language Center, Japanese Language Center, Testing Center, Center for Vietnam – Russia Cooperation, Center for Security -Defense Education, Center for International Training and Development Programs, South West Regional Center for Admissions and Training, Career and Business Support Center, Center for Architectural Planning;
– 04 Institutes: Institute of Educational Issues, Open Training and Research Institute, Institute for International Research, Branch of the Russian Federation Academy of Science and Technology in Vietnam;
– 01 off-site campus of Binh Duong – Ca Mau;
– 11 Offices, and functional boards, including: Office of Academics, Office of Recruitment, Office of Finance, Office of International Relations, Office of Scientific Research, Organization and Administration Office, Office of Equipment Management, Student Affairs and Unions, Office of Information and Communication, Inspection Committee, Library, and Health Station.
The number of staff and lecturers with academic titles and degrees, especially professors, academicians, associate professors, and doctors has rapidly increased, contributing to the working environment and the education and training environment of Binh Duong University, which has become highly appraised and facilitates strong development.
5. Finances – Facilities:
Over the past 20 years, the school has invested 37,000 square meters with 162 classrooms, 17 labs, 10 computer labs (500), 02 libraries, 01 multi-purpose hall, 01 student theater and the construction of 01 branch in Ca Mau Province with a total investment capital of 347 billion dong. Thanks to the financial policy of reasonable spending, saving and financial planning, the school has ensured conditions for the implementation of educational and scientific programs and the consistent regime for staff; built up welfare funds, scholarships for students, as well as a science and technology fund. School finances ensure that training, activities of science and technology, staff policies and living conditions are all stable.
The "Three- in- One" dormitory model, which is affiliated with the local people, can accommodate up to 4,000 students and is the first such model, making it one that many other universities learn from.
Professors, associate professors, and doctors have rapidly contributed to the working environment, the education and training environment of Binh Duong University, being highly appraised and facilitating strong development.
6. The Party, unions, student affairs, and ideological works:
Being a self-accounting educational institution, the school has created favorable conditions for Party organizations, group organizations, trade unions, youth unions and students' associations to operate in accordance with the law and make positive contribution to the building and development of the school.
The school has a policy to support group organizations in their care for the life and learning of the students. The school has set up a scholarship fund, with a total amount of 4.8 billion dong, to support students and help them learn diligence and perseverance.
In support of the students, BDU has established a Career and Employment Counseling Center for students. The Center has collaborated with provincial and municipal companies to provide career counseling and job search opportunities for students. Thousands of students are benefiting from the program.
The political and ideological mission has always been a deep concern of the school. The Party and the school unions regularly organize political training, law dissemination, historical education, and ethics training; organizing awareness activities for staff and students, launching emulation movements for teaching and learning, learning and training assignments … creating a friendly and healthy working environment. Party resolutions, mobilization movements, especially the campaign "Studying and following Ho Chi Minh's moral example" have been implemented extensively for many years. Resolution No. 29-NQ / TW on the fundamental and comprehensive renovation of education and training is implemented by staff, teachers and students in the school. This is contributing greatly to the improvement of quality in the training.
7. Social Work:
Over the past 20 years, Binh Duong University has been associated with and supported many local entities like the following:
– Programs of training to cultivate the staff in many locations;
– Support for new rural research programs;
– Support to build rural transport bridges;
– Lifelong Support programs for caring for 70 heroic Vietnamese mothers in the 02 districts of U Minh and Thoi Binh;
– Bach Duong Kindergarten, with 200 students, built by the school for the people of U Minh District;
– 01 concrete bridge, 136m long, 3.6m wide with the load capacity of 5 tons, through the Xang Chac Bang channel, built to create conditions for local students and citizens to circulate smoothly;
– Equipping hundreds of computers for high schools in Ca Mau;
– 15 charity houses built for poor families in U Minh district, Thoi Binh district, Ca Mau Province;
– Scholarship funds, with the amount of 4.8 billion dong, to support students in remote areas with difficult circumstances.
Estimated total amount in charity work is 15 billion dong.
After 20 years of building and developing, Binh Duong University stands as a team, united, ever striving, dynamically, creatively bringing into full play social potential to build Binh Duong University; becoming an open and multi-disciplinary economic and ecological institution of the university, graduate school, and research students … contributing to the training of quality human resources, building up the local socio-economic development of our region.
1. Binh Duong University is the only university founded in Binh Duong province at the same time as the construction and development of Binh Duong province (1997). The school has raised and trained quality human resources to meet the needs of industrialization and modernization of the country without end. The school has trained more than 70,000 students and more than 30,000 students graduated from the system (including more than 500 masters) to participate in the socio-economic activities of their home regions, many whom have become leaders of the public community, in society, in enterprises, of self-founded businesses; many doctoral graduates have become university researchers and lecturers.
2. Being a university with a philosophy of education and training (SAUA and 4Rs: Study – Ask – Understand – Act! In order to take Responsibility for self – Responsibility for family – Responsibility to society – Responsibility for nature), having received high appraisal by leaders of the Party, State, Ministry of Education and Training, as well as local and foreign scientists, Binh Duong University, is standing apart from other universities.
3. Binh Duong University is also the only non-public university in the province to set up a Training Campus in Ca Mau Province – Binh Duong University, Ca Mau- contributing to the development of Ca Mau Province and the country, while promoting the brand image of Binh Duong Province to your province. The results of operations have been highly appraised by the leaders of the Committee for Culture, Education, Youth and Children of the National Assembly, the Ministry of Education and Training and the People's Committee of Ca Mau Province.
4. BDU is the only non-public university affiliated with the educational and training establishments in the provinces and cities throughout the country, effectively organizing the distance training program via radio, television, internet, and video conference online. The distance training program on the radio of the People's Voice of Ho Chi Minh City is especially highly appraised by the society and contributes to the implementation of the policy of socialization of the Party and the State. This is a non-profit program that is dedicated to the collective efforts of school scientists.
5. Binh Duong University has brought together many scientists, both domestically and internationally, to participate in educational activities, science and technology, building a synchronous school organizational structure, ensuring the quality of educational activities. The university has established cooperative relationships with more than 30 universities in the United States, Russia, South Korea, China, Japan, Thailand, Poland, Belarus,etc. The Academy of Science and Technology of the Russian Federation set up a branch at BDU, the school president having been appointed president of the branch. This is a bridge for scientific research and technology transfer between the Academy of Science and Technology of the Russian Federation with higher education institutions and research institutes of Vietnam, and has been supported by many institutes of the Academy of Science of Vietnam, creating links.
6. The three-in-one student dorm model demonstrates the success of the policy of socialization of the Party and State, which was first implemented in Binh Duong Province. The three-in-one model is a combination of state, school and homestay with the main goal being to collectively contribute to the creation of favorable conditions for students to live, to eat, to contribute to the quality of education; also affording a stable income for the people. The state and the school closely coordinate the management of the students. The "Three- in- One" dormitory model has contributed to creating jobs for local people and has contributed positively to repelling student evils.
7. Binh Duong University has many ideas to contribute to building an open education, which were written in the book There is such an Open University as This published by Literature Publishing House in 2010; Journey to Open Education published by the Literature Publishing House in 2015. The ideas, views on education, philosophy of education of the Party and the State are all expressed specifically through these two books. Special attention was given to these matters in the article "Building an Open Education- Open to Learn, Learn to Open- Becoming Responsible Citizens in the Open World". This article contributes to clarifying the ideas of globalization in educational contribution to building up the Open world, building up the eco-economy. These views and ideas have been appraised by many domestic and international scientists and have become the foundation for building and developing Binh Duong University, the assurance of quality education of the University. The study was published in the “Journal of Education and Society of the Vietnam National University and Colleges”, No. 66 (pg.127) in September, 2016.
The achievements of the school in the past 20 years have affirmed the position of Binh Duong University in the system of higher education domestically and are known internationally with deep affection through affiliate programs like cooperation in training, scientific research, and cultural activities. Binh Duong University has gradually built in a combination of "Education – Science – Technology – Economy", contributing to the development of open education of everyone, by everyone, to everyone, for everyone, and the idea that everyone is equally entitled to enjoy the fruits of education.
These achievements are due to:
– The success of the school over the past 20 years has confirmed the correctness of the school's development and developmental strategy. The strategy clearly defines action goals and devises measures to ensure the quality of school operations.
– The solidarity of the leadership team and staff , all working together for the cause of the school.
– The school has always received close attention, timely guidance, and active support from central ministries, Provincial People's Committees of the
South, especially Binh Duong People's Committee, and other provincial departments throughout the operation of the school.
On Behalf of the BOARD OF MANAGEMENT – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
CHAIRMAN – PRESIDENT
Prof. Academician Cao Van Phuong